Joseph T. O'Neil, M.D.
Dr. O’Neil is a board certified, orthopaedic surgeon specializing in the treatment of foot and ankle disorders. He completed his residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, PA. He then completed a fellowship in Foot and Ankle Surgery at MedStar Union Memorial Hospital in Baltimore, MD.
Dr. O’Neil has authored numerous research publications and serves as the Director of Clinical Research for the Foot and Ankle Division here at Rothman Orthopaedics. In addition he has lectured and presented his research at national meetings. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons as well as the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society. He treats all foot and ankle conditions and has particular interests in acute fractures of the foot and ankle, sports-related injuries, ankle arthroscopy, arthritis of the foot and ankle, ligament and tendon repair/reconstruction, bunions, hammertoes, complex deformity and total ankle replacement.
Bryn Mawr Hospital
Bryn Mawr Hospital Orthopaedic Surgery Center
Physicians Care Surgery Center
Physicians Care Surgical Hospital
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
- B.A., University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN
- M.D., Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
- Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
- Fellowship, Foot and Ankle Surgery, MedStar Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- Board Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Director of Clinical Research, Foot and Ankle Division, Rothman Orthopaedics
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
1. Deirmengian GK, Zmistowski B, O’Neil JT, Hozack WJ. “Current Concepts Review: Management of Acetabular Bone Loss in Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty.” J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011;93(19):1842-1852. PMID:22005871
2. Deirmengian GK, Zmistowski B, Jacovides C, O'Neil J, Parvizi J. “Leukocytosis is Common After Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty.” Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011 Nov; 469(11):3031-6. PMID:21461866
3. Mortazavi SMJ, O’Neil JT, Zmistowski B, Parvizi J, Purtill JJ. “Repeat 2-Stage Exchange for Infected Total Hip Arthroplasty: A Viable Option?” J Arthroplasty. 2012 June;27(6):923-6. PMID:22226613
4. Tokarski AT, O’Neil J, Deirmengian CA, Ferguson J, Deirmengian GK. “The Routine Use of Atypical Cultures in Presumed Aseptic Revisions Is Unnecessary.” Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013 Oct; 471(10):3171-7. PMID:23504537
5. O’Neil JT, Pedowitz DI, Kerbel YE, Codding JL, Zoga AC, Raikin SM. “Peroneal Tendon Abnormalities on Routine Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Foot & Ankle.” Foot Ankle Int. 2016 Jul;37(7):743-7.
6. O’Neil JT, Wang ML, Kim N, Maltenfort M, Ilyas AM. “Prospective Evaluation of Opioid Consumption Following Distal Radius Fracture Repair Surgery.” Am J Orthop. 2017 Jan/Feb;46(1):E35-E40.
7. Vosbikian M, O’Neil JT, Piper C, Huang R, Raikin SM. “Outcomes After Percutaneous Reduction & Fixation of Low-Energy Lisfranc Injuries.” Foot Ankle Int. 2017 Jul;38(7):710-5.
8. O’Neil JT, Raikin SM. “Revision Total Ankle Replacement in the Setting of Significant Bone Loss.” Accepted for publication in Techniques in Foot & Ankle Surgery.
9. O’Neil JT, Parvizi J, Winters BS. “Treatment of the Acute & Chronic Infected Total Ankle Arthroplasty.” Accepted for publication in Techniques in Foot & Ankle Surgery.