Saloni Sharma, M.D.
Dr. Sharma is double board-certified in physical medicine & rehabilitation and spinal procedures. She specializes in the non-operative care of spinal pain and employs a multi-modal approach to spinal care. At a national level, she serves on the American Academy of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation’s Opioid Task Force and as the Co-Chair of Pain & Spine Rehabilitation. She continues to support alternatives to opioids and is a course director for a national physician course on navigating the opioid crisis and managing pain during a pandemic.
Dr. Sharma is a Clinical Assistant Professor of Rehabilitation Medicine at Thomas Jefferson University who has published numerous research articles, textbook chapters, and continues to teach and lecture to residents and medical students. Her teaching skills were recognized with the Dean's Award for Excellence in Education at Sidney Kimmel Medical College in 2018. She has been voted a Top Doc by her peers multiple years including 2020. Dr. Sharma served as a Chief Resident at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital and as Chief Fellow at Penn State Hershey Medical Center. She studied acupuncture at Harvard University and has an interest in integrative medicine. She performs fluoroscopic guided spine injections, and trigger point injections.
- Integrative Medicine Fellow, Andrew Weil Center for Integrative Medicine, Tucson, AZ
- Acupuncturist, Structural Acupuncture for Physicians, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- Chief Fellow Pain Management, Department of Anesthesia Pennsylvania State University Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA
- Chief Resident, Program Development, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
- Resident, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
- Internship, York Hospital, York, PA, Internal Medicine Preliminary Year
- Doctor of Medicine, Early Acceptance Program, College of Medicine, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA
- Bachelor of Arts, Chemistry (cum laude) with Religious Studies Minor Franklin & Marshall College, Lancaster, PA
- ABMPR Board Certified in Pain Medicine
- ABPMR Board Certified in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- ACLS Certification
Publications, peer reviewed
1. Sharma S. “An Introduction to Foreign Healthcare.” Academic Medicine 2005 80: 409.
2. Sharma S. “The Patient-Caregiver Cycle.” Academic Medicine 2005 80: 606.
3. Shaw, Erik, Diane W. Braza, David S. Cheng, Erik Ensrud, Andrew S. Friedman, Rita G. Hamilton, J. Jason Miller, Ameet S. Nagpal, Saloni Sharma. "American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Position Statement on Opioid Prescribing." PM&R (2018).
1. Sharma S., Giampetro D.: Opioid Adverse Effects and Opioid-Induced Hypogonadism (Chapter 11) in Deer T. (Ed.) Comprehensive Treatment of Chronic Pain by Medical, Interventional, & Behavioral Approaches: AAPM Textbook on Patient Management. Springer, New York, 2013, pp. 111-9.
2. Sharma S., Mehnert M.: HIV-Related Pain Syndromes in Freedman M. (Ed.) Challenging Neuropathic Pain Syndromes: Evaluation and Evidence-Based Treatment. Elsevier, Missouri, 2018, pp. 89-95.