Brian S. Winters, M.D.
Dr. Winters is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon that specializes in all areas of foot & ankle surgery, with an emphasis on total ankle replacement, ligament and tendon repair/reconstruction, sports related injuries, minimally invasive arthroscopic techniques, deformity correction and reconstructive surgery related to cartilage injury, avascular necrosis, arthritis, neurologic conditions, trauma, and acute lower extremity fracture care.
After receiving his bachelor’s degree at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ, where he pitched for the Scarlet Knights nationally ranked varsity baseball team and graduated with Honors, he stayed in New Brunswick to complete two years of dedicated research at Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. He later went on to complete his medical education there and was inducted in to the Alpha Omega Alpha-National Medical and Gold Humanism Honor Societies. He subsequently completed his orthopaedic surgery residency and orthopaedic foot and ankle surgery fellowship at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, PA.
Dr. Winters has received multiple awards for his academic excellence, clinical achievement, and leadership. He is an associate professor of orthopaedic surgery at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia and is very active in research, which has resulted in numerous publications and book chapters.
Rothman Physician Spotlight – Brian S. Winters, MD
AtlantiCare - Center for Orthopaedic Surgery
AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center (Mainland Division)
Cape May Court House, NJ
Egg Harbor Township, NJ
- MD UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
- Intern in General Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia
- Resident in Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia
- Fellowship, Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia
- Associate Professor, Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
- Board Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- AtlantiCare Surgery Center
- AtlantiCare Mainland Hospital
- Philadelphia Orthopaedic Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- New Jersey Orthopaedic Society
- Eastern Orthopaedic Association
- American Orthopaedic Association
- Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Society
Peer-Reviewed Publications (PubMed)
1. McDonald E, Daniel JN, Rogero R, Shakked R, Nicholson K, Pedowitz DI, Raikin SM,
Bilolikar V, Winters BS. How Does Perioperative Ketorolac Effect Opioid
Consumption and Pain Management After Ankle Fracture Surgery? Clin Orthop Relat
Res. 2019 Sept 24 [Epub ahead of print].
2. McDonald E, , Pedowitz DI, Shakked R, Fuchs D, Winters BS, Daniel J, Raikin SM.
When Is It Safe to Drive After Total Ankle Arthroplasty? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2019
Aug 12 [Epub ahead of print].
3. Reb CW, McDonald E, Shakked RJ, Winters BS, Pedowitz DI, Raikin SM, Daniel JN.
Brake Response Time Recovery After Achilles Tendon Repair. Foot Ankle Spec. 2019
Apr 23 [Epub ahead of print].
4. Rogero R, Fuchs D, Nicholson K, Shakked R, Winters BS, Pedowitz DI, Raikin SM,
Daniel JN. Postoperative Opioid Consumption in Opioid-Naïve Patients Undergoing
Hallux Valgus Correction. Foot Ankle Int. 2019 Nov; 40(11): 1267-1272.
5. Raouf T, Rogero R, McDonald E, Fuchs D, Shakked R, Winters BS, Daniel JN,
Pedowitz DI, Raikin SM. Value of Preoperative Imaging and Intraoperative
Histopathology in Morton’s Neuroma. Foot Ankle Int. 2019 Sep; 40(9): 1032-1036.
6. Winters B, Da Rin de Lorenzo F, Beck D. What is the Treatment “Algorithm for
Infection After Achilles Tendon Repair/Reconstruction? Foot Ankle Int. 2019 Jul; 40
7. Winters B, Da Rin de Lorenzo F, O’Neil J. What is the Optimal Management of Patient
With Prior Septic Arthritis of the Ankle Who Are Undergoing Total Ankle Arthroplasty
(TAA)? Foot Ankle Int. 2019 Jul; 40 (1_suppl): 9S-10S.
8. Schwarz EM, Parvizi J, Gehrke T, Aiyer A, Battenberg A, Brown SA, Callaghan JJ,
Citak M, Egol K, Garrigues GE, Ghert M, Goswami K, Green A, Hammound S, Kates
SL, McLaren AC, Mont MA, Namdari S, Obremskey WT, O'Toole R, Raikin S, Restrepo
C, Ricciardi B, Saeed K, Sanchez-Sotelo J, Shohat N, Tan T, Thirukumaran CP, Winters
B. 2018 International Consensus Meeting on Musculoskeletal Infection: Research
Priorities from the General Assembly Questions. J Orthop Res. 2019 May;37(5):997-
9. Saini S, McDonald EL, Shakked R, Nicholson K, Rogero R, Chapter M, Winters BS,
Pedowitz DI, Raikin SM, Daniel JN. Prospective Evaluation of Opioid Consumption
Following Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgery: Utilization Patterns and Prescribing
Guidelines. Foot Ankle Int. 2018 Nov; 39 (11): 1257-1265.
10. McDonald EL, Winters BS, Nicholson K, Shakked R, Raikin SM, Pedowitz DI, Daniel
JN. Effect of Post-Operative Toradol Administration on Bone Healing After Ankle
Fracture Fixation. Foot Ankle Int. 2018 Oct: 39(10): 1135-1140.
11. Amer, K, Mohamed S, Chaundry A, Mur T, Winters B, Abraham J. The Effect of
Mitomycin C on Recurrence of Plantar Fibromas. J Orthop Res. 2018 Sep; 36(9): 2554-
12. Pontell ME, Saad N, Winters BS, Daniel JN, Saad A. Reverse Sural Adipofascial Flaps
with Acellular Dermal Matrix and Negative Pressure Wound Therapy. Adv Skin Wound
Care. 2018 Jan; 31(1): 612-617.
13. Saad NH, Pontell ME, Winters BS, Daniel J, Saad A. The Periosteal Medial Femoral
Condyle Free Flap: A Novel Option for Soft Tissue Reconstruction for the Distal Lower
Extremity. Ann Plast Surg. 2017 Oct; 79 (4): 372-376.
14. McDonald E, Shakked R, Daniel J, Pedowitz DI, Winters BS, Reb C, Lynch MK, Raikin
SM. Driving After Hallux Valgus Surgery. Foot Ankle Int. 2017 Sep; 38 (9): 982-986.
15. Raikin SM, Sandrowski K, Kane JM, Beck D, Winters BS. Mid-Term Outcome of the
Agility Total Ankle Arthroplasty. Foot Ankle Int. 2017 Jun; 38 (6): 662-670.
16. Kreitz TM, Winters BS, Pedowitz DI. The Influence of Wait Time on Patient
Satisfaction in the Orthopaedic Clinic. J Patient Exp. 2016 Jun; 3 (2): 39-42.
17. Winters BS, Czachor B, Raikin SM. Metatarsophalangeal Joint Fusion Techniques with
1st Metatarsal Bone Loss/Defects. Foot Ankle Clinics. 2015 Sep; 20 (3): 479-91.
18. Ponzio D, Pedowitz DI, Verma K, Malenfort M, Winters BS, Raikin SM. Does
Postoperative Bunion Taping Maintain Hallux Valgus Correction? Foot and Ankle
International. 2015 Jul; 36 (7): 820-6.
19. Winters BS and Raikin SM. The Use of Allograft in Joint Preserving Surgery of Ankle
Osteochondral Lesions and Osteoarthritis. Foot & Ankle Clinics. 2013 Sep; 18 (3): 529-
20. Holena D, Stoddard D, Martin N, Winters B, Casey J, Pascual J, Sims C, Sarani B.
Clinical Outcomes Following Invasive versus Non-Invasive Pre-Operative Stabilization
of Closed Diaphyseal Femur Fractures. Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. 2012 Dec; 38(6):
21. Raikin SM, Winters BS, Daniel JN. The RAM Classification: A Novel, Systematic
Approach to the Adult Acquired Flatfoot. Foot & Ankle Clinics. 2012 June; 17(2): 169-
22. Winters BS, Solarz M, Jacovides C, Purtill JJ, Rothman RH, Parvizi J. Over-diagnosis
of Pulmonary Embolus: Evaluation of a Hypoxia Algorithm Designed to Avoid this
Catastrophic Problem. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2012 Feb; 470(2):
23. Winters BS, Mohan-Raj B, Robinson EE, Foty RA and Corbett SA. Three-dimensional
Culture Regulates Raf-1 Expression to Modulate Fibronectin Matrix Assembly.
Molecular Biology of the Cell. 2006 Aug; 17(8): 3386-3396.
24. Winters BS, Shepard SR and Foty RA. Biophysical measurement of brain tumor
cohesion. International Journal of Cancer. 2005 April 10;114(3): 371-379.
Peer-Reviewed Publications (Non-PubMed)
1. O’Neil J, Parvizi J, Winters BS. Treatment of the Infected Total Ankle Replacement:
Early & Chronic Infection. Techniques in Foot and Ankle Surgery. Editor David
Pedowitz, MD. Techniques in Foot & Ankle Surgery, Vol. 17, No. 2, June 2018.
2. Raikin SM, Bugbee W, Winters BS. The Use of Allograft for Osteochondral Lesions of
the Talus. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedics. 2014 June 23; 24 (3): 163-170.
1. Brian S. Winters. Foot & Ankle Section Editor: Orthopaedic Knowledge Update 13.
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2020.
2. Brian S. Winters and Joseph N. Daniel. Extensile Open Reduction and Internal Fixation
of Intra-articular Joint Calcaneus Fractures. Foot and Ankle Surgery: Tricks of the
Trade. Editor Steven Raikin. Theime Publishers, 2018.
3. Brian S. Winters. 1st Metatarsophalangeal Joint Fusion. Foot and Ankle Surgery:
Tricks of the Trade. Editor Steven Raikin. Theime Publishers, 2018.
4. Brian S. Winters and Steven M. Raikin. Sports Injuries of the Foot and Ankle. Core
Topics in Foot and Ankle Surgery. Editors Fred Robinson, James Brodsky, John Negrine.
Cambridge, United Kingdom. Cambridge University Press, 2018.
5. Brian S. Winters, Michael Aynardi, and Geoffrey M. Tymms. Osteochondral Lesions
of the Talus: Treatment Options in 2015. World Clinics Orthopedics: Foot and Ankle
Surgery. Editors Matthew S. Austin, Gregg R. Klein, and David I. Pedowitz.
Philadelphia, PA. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers, 2016.
6. Steven M. Raikin and Brian S. Winters. Sports-related conditions: Structural Allograft
for Large Osteochondral Lesions of the Talus. AAOS/AOFAS: Advanced
Reconstruction: Foot and Ankle 2. Editors Ian Alexander, Eric Bluman, and Justin
Greisberg. Rosemont, IL. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2015.
7. Steven M. Raikin and Brian S. Winters. Orthopaedic Knowledge Update: Foot and
Ankle 5. Editor Loretta B. Chou, MD. Rosemont, IL. American Academy of
Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2014.
8. David I. Pedowitz and Brian S. Winters. Hallux Valgus. Primary Care Orthopaedics 2nd
edition. Editors Paul Lotke, Joseph Abboud, and Jack Ende. Philadelphia, PA.
Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2013.