Treatment will depend on the severity of the injury. Treatment involves:
- Putting the pieces of the bone back in position, which may require anesthesia and/or surgery
- Keeping the pieces together while the bone heals itself
Devices that may be used to hold the bone in place while it heals include:
- A cast or splint (may be used with or without surgery)
- A metal plate with screws (requires surgery)
- Screws alone (requires surgery)
The doctor may prescribe pain medication depending on the level of pain. Your doctor will order more X-rays while the bone heals to ensure that the bones have not shifted position.