Corns and Calluses: Your Questions Answered by Callus Physicians in South Jersey

January 11th, 2016


About 1 in 40 people in America report having problems with corns or calluses, yet few fully understand what they are or what can be done about them. If you or someone you love suffers from this painful condition, Rothman Orthopaedic Institute’s callus physicians in South Jersey are here to answer your questions and concerns.

What’s The Difference Between a Corn and a Callus?

A callus is a flat area of thick, tough skin caused by repeated sheering pressure or rubbing in a concentrated area, usually on the palms of the hands and soles of the feet.  Though the area can appear red or scaly, a callus is rarely painful.

A corn is a specific type of callus that usually forms on the sides, tips, and tops of toes. Like a callus, it is caused by excessive, repeated pressure on a concentrated to one area of the foot. However, a corn develops as a cone-shaped center with a pronounced point that bears on the nerve below the skin, causing significant pain.

If you are not sure whether yours is a callus or a corn, consult one of Rothman’s callus physicians in South Jersey for a specific diagnosis.

What Can I Do About Them?

There are a number of non-invasive methods for treating, relieving, or preventing corns and calluses, including:

  • Wearing shoes or slippers with plenty of toe room

  • Padding the susceptible areas with bandages or layers of fabric

  • Applying moisturizer to soften the skin

  • Soaking hands or feet in warm, soapy water

  • Removing some of the thickened skin with a loofa pad or pumice stone
    (Note: Patients with diabetes should NOT attempt this without consulting their physicians first to prevent damage to their hands and feet.)

How Can Callus Physicians In South Jersey Help?

If a corn or callus persists or becomes painful despite your self-care efforts, callus physicians in South Jersey can help with several medical treatment options, such as:

  • Shoe inserts to align and position your foot properly

  • Removal of the excess skin by scalpel (do not try at home)

  • Salicylic acid patches or prescriptions, which help to dissolve the corn or callus

  • Surgical removal, if there is an underlying structural bone issue such as a hammertoe or bunion

Whenever you have a corn or callus that is causing you pain, you should seek the advice of your physician first.  For more specialized help, see Rothman Orthopaedic Institute’s callus physicians in South Jersey. They can offer comprehensive diagnosis and caring treatment for your pain, so you can get back to your productive daily routine.


Call Rothman Orthopaedic Institute today to schedule an appointment at 800.321.9999.


1 of 1
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer. To ensure security, performance, and full functionality, please upgrade to an up-to-date browser.