Rothman Doctors Can Help Those With Neck Pain in South Jersey
When patients complain of neck pain, they are referring to two types of pain; muscular and vertebral. There are seven doughnut-shaped bones in the upper torso connecting the lower spinal column to the skull. Because we count on our neck to offer us a significant range of motion and because it is made up of the bones and muscles that support the weight of the head, it is not uncommon for local patients to experience neck pain in south jersey due to a wide variety of causes. Some of the most common reasons that patients experience discomfort in the upper spinal column or neck area, include:
- A neck strain or sprain due to whiplash
- Sitting for long periods of time in unnatural positions (often occurs at work because of poor chair cushioning or a computer monitor that is too high or too low)
- Poor posture over a long period of time
- Injury as a result of lifting heavy objects with improper form
- Neck stiffness from sleeping on pillows that are too hard or too soft
Why is My Neck So Sore?
Because it is less protected than the rest of the spine, the neck is particularly susceptible to injury and also to general wear and tear through the years. Outside of the common causes listed above, there may be some other, more serious possible causes of your neck pain in south jersey.
If, however, you are like the majority of individuals, you would describe your condition as simple neck pain or even as having a “stiff neck,” then with some non-invasive care and a little rest, you should be back to feeling great in a matter of a few weeks!
How to Relieve Neck Pain in South Jersey
- Learn stretches that you can do to release tension in your neck
- Practice relaxation techniques to loosen muscles
- Work on having better posture throughout your day
- Reconsider the mattress and pillows you are sleeping on
- Move your computer monitor to a more natural position
Try these simple ideas for managing neck pain in south jersey and then call Rothman Orthopaedic Institute to learn more about how our physicians can help you get on the path to a pain free lifestyle!